- A fairly long wig (= wig) (a dread reduces the length by about 1/4).
- A foam head (also purchased from Arda Wigs),
- A fine comb (the teeth must be tightened),
- Clips and elastic to hold the hair,
- A straightening iron,
- A bowl of water,
- A small cloth,
- His feet…
And eventually :
- An extension: for me, a “Long Weft” in Dark Brown (076),
- Sewing thread,
- A needle,
1 ST STEP: PREPARATION
We start by delimiting the locations of the dreads by making braids. To do this, I fix the wig on my foam head using pins. I start with the circumference of the face because this is where the dreads will be most visible.
NB: By forming braids, we also prevent the wig from getting tangled when handling it.
2 ND STEP: FORM A DREAD
- I wedge the wig on my foot, and I start with the dreads from below (the least visible).
- I undo the braid, then I crepe it with a comb. I wrap it slightly, then re-pancake and so on, until I get a very tangled and fairly compact wick.
- Finally, I turn it in my hands to form the dread, I tighten it as much as possible then I block it by attaching the tip to my other foot (I wrap it around my toe).
3 RD STEP: “BLOCK” THE DREAD
- Once the dread is formed and well attached between my two feet, I soak and wring a cloth in a bowl of water, then I place it around my dread (starting at the root).
- I pass my straightening iron over it to fix the dread, I move my cloth, iron my straightening iron, I re-move the cloth and so on to the tip. Obviously, as soon as the cloth is dry, I dip it again…
- Several passes may be necessary for the dread to be blocked.
- We repeat steps 2 and 3 for each dread.
4 TH STEP: PLUG THE “HOLES”
After having gathered all the hair to form the dreads, it is possible that holes appear at the base of the wig (personally I have one on each side).
We will use extensions to remedy this problem.
- Prepare the extensions: the extension comes in the form of a “garland” of hair. I cut 2 pieces so that I can form 2 dreads.
- I form the 2 dreads by repeating steps 2 and 3.
- I lift the hair with pliers to clear the holes.
- I sew the dread on the base of the wig with a needle and a brown thread.
- We lower the hair … and presto! neither seen nor known.
5 TH STEP: DETAILS
- I chose to make my rings myself by forming Worbla tubes around a pen (thinner than the dread but not too much to be able to put it on).
- We decorate (borders, reliefs, etc.), then we paint.
2. Color wire
- For my part, I chose embroidery thread (a little thick) of various red / orange shades.
The rings are threaded to the desired height.
- For the thread: with a needle I pass the thread through the dread, I turn around to form my decoration, then I tie a knot at the end.
FINAL RESULT :